Hello from the USA

For everyone who has a question or solution and only speak English
Only English language
Manx102

Hello from the USA

Bericht door Manx102 » 01 mei 2011 06:25

Hello, my name is Randy and I live on the central California coast and I have been lucky to have been around and played with dune buggies and sand rails almost all my life from the 1960's till now. I know how popular they were then in the U.S. What I did not know until recently was how popular they were and still are around the world. Also all the different types and ideas of what a buggy should be in the different countries.
I was really impressed with your buggies, bugs and kit cars that were at your "Cruise Night". I hope to learn more from you about the history and information on the different makes of dune buggies you have over there.
Regards, Randy

manx
Contacteer:

Re: Hello from the USA

Bericht door manx » 01 mei 2011 08:29

Hi Randy.

Welcome to our Dutch Buggyvrienden (Buggyfriends) forum!

My name is Henny aka Manx and I own a Meyers Manx II which I build from a English licensed kit, back in 2005.
Check my website: http://www.manxter.nl/

Maybe you can post or show us some pictures of your buggy, probably a Meyers Manx... :wink:

Manx102

Bericht door Manx102 » 01 mei 2011 09:47

Thank you for the welcome Henny and Ron. You have a great web-site and it is also great that you have registered over a 1000 buggies there. That is amazing and you are doing a great job of helping to keep the buggy dream alive. 8)
I will post some pictures of my Manx soon.
Randy

Manx102

Bericht door Manx102 » 01 mei 2011 18:26

Hi Gert, it is good to see you again. Here is a little bit of history and pictures of our Manx.
My father ordered a Meyers Manx type B kit with the color of Golden Orange Metalflake in the fall of 1966. He had a good friend and builder start the building of our Manx in December 1966 and we had it out at the Pismo Dunes for the first time in March 1967.
Manx #102 of the first floorpan Manxes as she was built in 1967.
Afbeelding
As our Manx is today. Not to many changes over the years.
Afbeelding
Afbeelding

Manx102

Bericht door Manx102 » 01 mei 2011 19:45

Yes Gert it was repainted in 1981 with a metalflake color that is close but still darker overall because the metalflake in the paint is smaller. All those years of sand, sun and fun took their toll on the original gel-coat.
You are right again on the sticker rather than the larger plastic emblem. According to Bruce Meyers web-sites the first 150 or so Manxes had the stickers.
But again with the sun, sand and fun it lasted a only a very short while on the Manx. So my dad had a custom silver colored metal plate in the same sticker shape made for the Manx. Then the plate was painted over when we had the Manx painted.
Your Manx Gert and Ron's Manx are two of my favorite ones I have seen anywhere. They are both so nicely done. 8) 8)
Randy
Why the Manx paint and sticker did not last.

Baja 10 times between 1968 and 1978.
Afbeelding
The dunes at Pismo, Glamis, Buttercup and other dunes hundreds of times over the past 44 years.
Afbeelding

Manx102

Bericht door Manx102 » 01 mei 2011 20:35

Ron, Henny and Gert, I bought the book "The Dune Buggy Phenomenon" by James Hale. It is about dune buggies around the world back in the day. I will finish reading it soon and I will be ready to ask you questions about your buggies in the Netherlands. I am looking forward to learning more about the Ruska B1, Ruska Super Buggy, Birds Buggy, the Woestijnrat, all the different Apal's Buggies and the other buggies that you have there.
Randy

manx
Contacteer:

Bericht door manx » 02 mei 2011 11:54

Hi Randy, thank you for sharing pictures and stories concerning your Manx buggy.

Yes I heard of James Hale; in fact, I know him very well. He is a personal friend of mine. Lots of (buggy) books from James are available in The Netherlands.

What could be interesting to you is an other buggy fan site here in Europe. Check the Belgium Buggy Boys:

http://www.buggyboys.be/

and their forum as well:

http://www.buggyboys.be/forum/

Grtz. Henny aka Manx

Manx102

Bericht door Manx102 » 02 mei 2011 17:13

Henny, I would enjoy talking to James Hale as I enjoy history in general and through his book I am learning a lot more about buggies around the world. Thank you for the information on the additional buggy sites as I will check the "buggyboys" site out.
Also I am glad you enjoyed my pictures and stories.
Regards, Randy

Bovi

Bericht door Bovi » 02 mei 2011 19:41

Halloa Randy

It`s great to read that there are Hollandse Buggyfriends in the US of A.
Great pictures and nice to read the stories here.
I`m sorry that my writing is not je of het (if you know what i mean) but i hope you`ll understand it.

Greetings from Bovi.

Uut Drenthe the greenest land of Holland :wink:
wie goed doet die goed ontmoet

Manx102

Bericht door Manx102 » 03 mei 2011 07:19

Thank you for the welcome Bovi and it is great for me to have Buggy friends in Holland. Also Bovi your English is fine do not worry about it. I hope we will talk to each other again soon.
Randy
Gert thanks for the information on Henny's book. Looks like I have come to a great place to learn about your buggies there.

So for my first question:
What buggy over there is the most popular? Both back in the day and now and what made them so successful?

Manx102

Bericht door Manx102 » 03 mei 2011 23:36

Gert schreef:
The Ruska family were very good marketeers. From early seventies till mid eighties there were written several articles in Dutch car magazines. Tell anyone you have a buggy and they ask: "Is it a Ruska?"
The Ruska family must have been "very good marketeers" to have lasted that long. It looks like their Ruska Sportscar Buggy lives on as Hot Rod Sportscar Buggy. It is a nice looking buggy.
Thanks Gert for the info and the links to the web-sites for the Sportscar and KS buggies. Also Ron for the additional buggy pictures.
Randy

Manx102

Bericht door Manx102 » 04 mei 2011 00:20

Thanks Gert... after reading it sounds like the start Dutch buggy history is much like the start of American buggy history. Buggy copying, lawyers and courts. :wink:
Laatst gewijzigd door Manx102 op 05 mei 2011 04:22, 1 keer totaal gewijzigd.

Manx102

Bericht door Manx102 » 04 mei 2011 06:21

Next questions:
What are some of your off-road buggy activities today in Holland and back in the 70's and 80's if different from today?

Also what are some of your favorite buggy on-road trips over there?

John

Bericht door John » 04 mei 2011 21:44

Randy,

This is one of the trips we made.
http://forum.algemenebuggyclub.eu/viewt ... ?f=5&t=460
Have a nice look.
Maybe you will see more on www.algemenebuggyclub.eu

Regards John
Ruska B1 met R25 2,2ltr motor
Ruska B1 met 1600 kevermotor

Manx102

Bericht door Manx102 » 04 mei 2011 23:58

John and Gert.. sounds a lot like the future here in California. We still have quite a few off road driving areas left. But everyday it seems you read of another area being closed to off road. Sometimes enviromentaly justified sometimes just enviromentalist politics.
Someday here you may have to go to Baja for a true buggy off road adventure. It has been 43 years since our first. It maybe time to go back someday.
Afbeelding

Plaats reactie